- 1 large (3/4 lb.) sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1½ lbs. boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into 1½-inch chunks and layers separated
- olive oil
- 7 (12-inch) skewers
Spice Mix + Glaze
- 2 tsp. garlic salt
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 6 Tbsp. honey
- 2 tsp. cider vinegar
- Place potato pieces into a small saucepan and add just enough water to cover the tops. Bring the water with potatoes to a boil over medium heat; cook for 5 minutes, partially covered, until potatoes are nearly cooked but still a bit firm. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- While the potatoes are cooling, prepare the spice mix + glaze by mixing together the garlic salt, chili powder, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika and crushed red pepper. In a separate bowl, combine the honey and cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Add chicken to a medium bowl; drizzle lightly with olive oil and toss with half of the spice rub. Do the same with cooled potato pieces and sweet onion chunks; drizzle with olive oil and toss with remaining spice rub.
- Thread the chicken, sweet potato, and onion onto the soaked skewers.
- Preheat the grill on medium/high; grill the chicken skewers for 8 minutes, turning frequently, or until chicken juices run clear while brushing the skewers with the prepared honey glaze.
- Remove from the grill and serve immediately.