21 Oct Jack-O-Lantern Stuffed Peppers
6 large bell peppers – any colors – orange make the best Jack-O-Lanterns!
1 Tbl of EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
1 large white onion diced
2 cloves of chopped garlic
1.5 pounds of ground turkey 93% lean
1 can (15 oz.) of fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 cup of chicken stock divided
2 cups of cooked whole grain brown rice
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
2 Tsp. chili powder
2 oz (1/2 Cup) of shredded cheese (Monterey Jack or Mexican blend)
6 Babybel cheeses
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut off (and reserve) the top of each pepper. Remove and discard the cores and seeds. Using a sharp paring knife, carve a Jack-O-Lantern face into each pepper. Place the peppers upright in a large baking dish along with the pepper tops.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet. Sauté onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add turkey and sauté until browned and cooked through, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon. Turn off the heat and drain the fat.
- Return skillet to stovetop over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir in the chili powder. Add the fire-roasted tomatoes, 1/2 cup chicken stock, cooked rice and 2 oz of the shredded cheese. Stir until the mixture is evenly combined.
- Divide rice and beef mixture between the hollowed out peppers. For consistency use a ½ cup measure to evenly portion. Top with the Babybel Cheeses – 1 wheel per pepper, chopped.
- Pour remaining 1/2 cup chicken stock into pan. Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for another 10 minutes, until the peppers are tender and the cheese is melted.
· Line your baking pan with foil for easier clean up
· Babybel cheese is optional but made portioning easier. If not, substitute with an additional ½ cup of shredded cheese.
· If the peppers aren’t standing upright, try evening out the bottom by cutting to make a more flat base.
Inspired from a ‘Delish’ video from Facebook and modified to be health conscious!